General Packaging Advice
At Same Day Dispatch Services we're committed to making your delivery with utmost speed and care. However, during its journey your package may be handled several times, so it's important to make sure that it's properly packed. Follow the tips below to help ensure that it arrives in perfect condition.*
First, please note that your package must be at least the size of an A4 envelope to be eligible for handling by Same Day Dispatch Services.
Second, always use high quality materials for your package. Consider strength, cushioning, and durability.
- Use a rigid box with flaps intact.
- Choose the size of the box according to its content. Under-filled boxes are likely to collapse, overloaded ones may burst.
- Choose boxes made of corrugated cardboard, with good quality outer liners.
- When re-using a box remove all old labels including any old hazardous materials indicators.
Packing and cushioning
- Wrap all items separately.
- Repack your items properly. Many goods are sold in the original manufacturer's packaging which may not be suitable for carriage.
- Put goods in the centre of a package ensuring they don't touch the sides. Your item should be well cushioned on all sides.
- Ensure liquids are stored in leak-free containers, packed with a lightweight, strong, internal material (e.g. Styrofoam) and sealed with a plastic bag. Always remember that bad packaging may cause damage to other items.
- Place powders in strong plastic bags, securely sealed and then packed in a rigid box.
- Don't use bags made of fabric or cloth.
- Make use of cushioning materials, especially to stop your package's contents from moving.
- Protect your data discs, audio and videotapes with soft cushioning material around each item.
Tape and strapping
- Use strapping, when suitable, as a good way to seal and secure your box.
- Use strong tape designed for shipping if strapping is not available.
- Don't use sellotape to seal your parcel.
- Use "arrow-up" labels for non-solid materials.
- Complete the address label clearly and completely, using capital letters when handwriting labels to improve readability.
- Place a duplicate address label inside the package.
- Don't use "Fragile" and "Handle with care" labels as a substitute for careful packaging. They are only appropriate for information purposes.
* Please note that Same Day Dispatch Services will accept no liability for the packaging advice that it provides. In accordance with the Same Day Dispatch Services standard terms & conditions the customer remains responsible for ensuring packaging and labelling is adequate for transportation.
Critical acclaim for critical services
Don't just take our word for it. See what others have said about us.Testimonials >
Open a Trading Account
No set-up costs & no minimum order required.Apply now >
Need a Quote?
Fill out our online form and we'll email you a written quote.Get a written quote >